How Does Laser Hair Removal Work?
The lasers we use produce a soft burst of light that concentrates into the hair follicles. The pigment in the follicles absorbs the light, preventing future growth without damaging the surrounding skin. The process is repeated until hair growth no longer occurs.
How Should I Prepare for an Appointment?
It’s important to be prepared for an appointment to ensure the best results. We tell our patients:
- Not to wax or tweeze for six weeks before the first session, as the laser needs to be able to identify the hair follicle.
- You may shave before the session as long as you use a new blade. If you use a blade more than once, you put yourself at risk of contact dermatitis caused by bacteria.
- Stay out of the sun for two weeks before treatment to avoid pigmentation.
- Avoid caffeine for 24 hours before your session.
- Talk to our professionals about medications you’re taking; antibiotics can increase photosensitivity.
What Should I Know About Post-Treatment?
There are several things you should know about what to expect after treatment.
- The skin may be red for several hours after treatment.
- Hair will begin to fall out three to 30 days after your session.
- You can gently exfoliate your skin, but don’t force hairs out before they’re ready.
- Stay out of the sun for a week after your session, or use a strong sunscreen if you are exposed to sunlight.
- Do not scratch your skin or pick at blisters.
- Treat your skin with vitamin E gel or aloe vera.
- Pat your skin dry after a shower rather than rubbing yourself with a towel.
- Know that results aren’t immediate; be patient. It can take a few sessions before you begin to see the results you want.
For more information about laser hair removal or to schedule a consultation with a licensed professional, call the experts at Lake Jackson ENT today.